This page is being crowdsourced! Send details of your favourite academic journals and publication media to [email protected] by mentioning the journal name and its URL link, or by answering the following 2-minute survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CJRGGWZ
The following list allows you to target mainstream journals. As such, it is the perfect companion to the crowdsourced list of fully Open Access journals.
One of the most promising journals is plaNext – Next Generation Planning, the high quality peer-reviewed journal of the AESOP Young Academics’ network.
This page is structured as follows:
- Planning-related academic journals
- Planning-related professional media
- Beyond spatial planning:
- Architecture journals & magazines
- Geography journals
- Public Engagement, Teaching & HE
The page concludes with lists of the most highly ranked journals in the field, based on different metrics.
PLANNING-RELATED ACADEMIC JOURNALS
By alphabetical order:
- Australian Planner
- Articulo – Journal of Urban Research
- Built Environment
- Children, Youth and Environments
- Cities: The International Journal of Urban Policy and Planning
- City: analysis of urban trends, culture, theory, policy, action
- City and Community
- Commonwealth Journal of Local Governance
- Community Development
- disP – The Planning Review
- Environment and Planning
- Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design
- Environment and Planning D: Society and Space
- Environment & Urbanization
- European Urban and Regional Studies
- Italian Journal of Regional Science
- International Development Planning Review
- International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy
- International Regional Science Review
- Journal for Studies in Management and Planning
- Journal of the American Planning Association
- Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management
- Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law
- Journal of Planning Education and Research
- Journal of Planning History
- Journal of Planning Literature
- Journal of Public Space
- Journal of Regional Science
- Journal of Settlements and Spatial Planning
- Journal of Transport and Land Use
- Journal of Transport Geography
- Journal of Urban Affairs
- Journal of Urban History
- Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management
- Land Economics
- Landscape and Urban Planning
- Land Use Policy
- Local Environment
- Papers in Regional Science
- Planning Perspectives
- Planning Theory
- Regional Science Policy and Practice
- Regional Studies
- Regional Studies, Regional Sciences
- Revista INVI
- Spatial Economic Analysis
- Town Planning Review
- Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers
- Urban Affairs Review
- Urban Geography
- Urban History
- Urban Studies
PLANNING-RELATED PROFESSIONAL PUBLICATION MEDIA
In the meantime, see the list of planning-related blogs for related professional publication media.
BEYOND SPATIAL PLANNING
Scimagojr (one of the many journal impact metric providers) provides its own list of architecture-related journals.
The University of Illinois library also compiles a decent list of academic journals in architecture.
Geography, GIS, Mapping and Spatial Analysis
Matt Rosenberg provides an excellent list of geography-related academic journals on ThoughtCo.com. Many of these are directly relevant to spatial planning.
Scimagojr provides the following list of top ranking journals in geography, planning and development based on its own SJR index.
Public Engagement, Teaching and HE
The following journals are worth considering regardless of the type of work & research you do.
The Times Higher Education provides a list of academic journals in Higher Educationsuggested by Pfr Malcom Tight at Lancaster University.
Impact. Impact is a brand new journal on the academic block and invites contributions about public engagement and impactful research from all academic disciplines.
Do you need to consider academic journal rankings?
Journal ranking is a hot topic, as there are lots of metrics out there. The University of Michigan library gives the lowdown on different research impact metrics, including: Web of Science, Scopus, Google Scholar, H-index, and alternative methods.
Scimagojr lists the top-ranking journals in Geography, Planning & Development based on its SJR index. See also relevant journals in Urban Studies, and a miscellaneous list of top-ranking in the Social Sciences.
In the Scopus Sources database, you can sort & view rankings for journals by subject. Search the subjects ‘Geography, Planning and Development’ and ‘Urban Studies’ for comprehensive lists of relevant journals by ranking. These are ranked by CiteScore, Highest percentile, number of Citations, and percentage cited.
You can also find the Impact Factor of any individual journal on Scijournal.org.
**This page is being crowdsourced!**
Send details of your favourite academic journals, publication media to [email protected] by mentioning the journal name and its URL link, or by answering the following 2-minute survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CJRGGWZ